Saturday, August 1, 2009

Shyla and Russell Leaving

Well, the day finally arrived that Shyla and Russell had to officially depart for their new home in California. I've got a lot of conflicting emotions about the whole thing, but mostly I really wish they hadn't had to leave.

Having them nearby in Spanish Fork has been a good thing for me. They came to Grandma Chatfield's for dinner on occasion to break up the monotony of me being the only person who wasn't technically related to anyone else (not to mention providing another male presence at the table), they had us over top play games every once and awhile, they liked to come over to hang out and especially to see Jack, Shyla was always an eager and willing babysitter, and perhaps more than anything I really, really enjoy spending time with Russell.

I owe him in particular a very big thank you for all the patience and support he has put forth in helping me to pursue a career in web programming. Shyla told me once that one of the only reasons he actually taught the class I took from him after there weren't enough students was because I was in it and he wanted to make sure I learned things the right way. He took a pay cut to keep teaching that class. I don't know how to pay that kind of generosity back.

Everything I know about web programming has basically been taught to me by Russell. Even the smaller stuff I learned before I took his class he has helped me to refine, make better, or replace with better practices and ideas. Without Russell my Conquer Club Trivia website and my website for the creative writing instructors at BYU, Writers Camp, would not be in existence. He put in a lot of time and effort to be my advisor during the capstone class for the minor and he has put in even more time on his own when I have questions about new things I'm trying to learn or have been struggling to get something to work properly that I know I should have been able to figure out on my own.

I owe Russell a lot for what he has taught me and I'm sure I will owe him a lot for what he will likely continue to teach me in the future. I still don't know javascript very well after all.

In the end, I know that moving to California was really the only option for them, and it does make sense to keep a job that pays you well, but I'm going to miss them a lot. I think Holly will miss them a lot and I am positive that Jack is going to miss them. He really, really would light up to see Shyla come through the door for a visit, and he was starting to do the same for Russell over the past couple of months before they had to leave.

Shyla was pretty impressive last night when they finally had to say goodbye after going to dinner with us to Cracker Barrel and then spending some time hanging out. I can't say I have done nearly as well today. Holly and Julie are off to see the new Oquirrh Mountain Temple this morning and I'm watching Jack while they are gone. We took a nice nap together, but I woke up with tears because I miss Shyla and Russell so much already. That is not something I normally do.

I really, really wish they hadn't had to go.