Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Job Hunt

I'm not looking for much, just a solid job for either part-time or full-time somewhere in the web programming field. I know I don't know every single programming language out there, but if I can find a few open positions that are pretty close to what I know I think I can learn whatever else is needed fairly quickly.

The one job I had hoped to get because I was pretty sure my skills were either on par with or far beyond what they needed was at Heritage Web Solutions, but they refuse to return calls and have "misplaced" my resume and application twice now. I guess that option is out. It would have been the most convenient by a long shot though.

I found a few new jobs to apply or at least research a little more yesterday, one in Sandy and one with the Provo Daily Herald that seems like it might be promising. I also put in a call in response to an advertisement on Craigslist to someone who was looking to pay to have their small business site reworked into something more professional looking. That one would be a freelance job, but could net a little bit of money and experience as well.

Mostly I wish I had time to learn new programming languages more quickly, but with school, my current job, and taking care of the family there isn't much time for that sort of thing. The catch is that without some of the new languages I worry I might not be all that marketable while looking for better employment. Steep hill to climb I guess.

If anyone has any leads on jobs or freelance projects, let me know as I'd certainly be interested.