Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sleep Hygiene

For the better part of the past year I have had some serious problems with sleeping, and sleeping well. Many nights I find it very difficult to get tired enough to fall asleep and even if I do I find that when I wake up in the mornings I rarely have managed to sleep in a restful way. As a result I've had some strange experiences with crashing in class, taking six hour naps on the weekends, etc.

Finally after the problem has been getting worse for the past couple of months I decided that perhaps it would be a good idea to go and see a doctor about it. I wasn't sure if it was stress induced, a chemical imbalance of some kind, or something else entirely.

Yesterday I had my appointment with Dr. Wilmore, and told him that I would like to first try solutions that did not revolve around taking any sort of medication if that was possible. The last thing I want is to be knocked unconscious for eight straight hours and unable to help with Jack during the night. He sleeps quite well most nights now, but we still have nights where he wakes up a couple times and that isn't something I want to leave Holly entirely responsible for.

Dr. Wilmore said that was entirely doable and that he often suggests that as the first step for anyone who comes in with similar problems. He then gave me the rundown on what is officially called "Sleep Hygiene" and the basic idea is to condition your body to expect certain activities shortly before going to sleep so it gets into a rhythm each night and you can fall asleep more easily.

The steps he told me to use for the next three to four weeks include the following:
  1. 30 minutes of light exercise each day before 7:00pm
  2. A warm shower just before it's time for bed each night
  3. Reading just before bed, but not in bed
  4. A relaxation technique
  5. Don't stay in bed longer than 15 minutes if not asleep
I gave it a try for the first time last night and I slept like a dream. I didn't wake up for anything, and luckily Jack didn't wake up either, so the first night was nice and easy. I'll do it all again tonight and see if the habits can start forming for me. It would sure be nice not to have trouble sleeping anymore.